Friday 7 January 2011

Week One Is Over

Well the first week of my mission to be optimistic rather than pessimistic is over and it's been pretty good. If I'm honest though, today I feel like crap, no reason other than I'm in a slump and struggling to find a reason to smile. Sometimes it feels like there's a heavy weight bearing down on me, I start doubting that my meds work and couldn't muster up a smile if my life depended on it. Today is one of those days, so, it seems like a good time to remind myself what I've done this week that has been positive...

New Year
My new year celebrations were uneventful. Hubby and I had a quiet night in playing Scrabble and talking. And I have to say uneventful is good, I've realised over time that eventful usually leads to misery! So my New Year came and went without noise, music, or fireworks. But it was perfect.

Movies
Having been given gift vouchers for the cinema for Christmas, Hubby and I decided to utilise them and actually get ourselves out of the house to see how normal people live! We went to see Tron: Legacy on Sunday which was great fun and then Burlesque on Wednesday which although it had a pretty rubbish story was still an enjoyable film.

Books
I've managed to get through two books this week and am on my third. After totting up how many books I read in 2010 (83), I've agreed with a friend to try and reach 100 this year. Will I do it? God knows! But I'll try, books are where I like to lose myself, when I'm struggling with my depression and fighting my internal demons it's books that help me through. My imagination comes to life when I'm reading, as though everything else just disappears in a mist around me. Of course, reality is always there, but it's good to get away now and again!

Blog
I'm also stunned at how many views this blog has had already! OK so 70 isn't a massive amount, but my last blog took about 3 months to reach those kinds of numbers so I'm not complaining! And maybe it's proof that I'm not alone in needing to try and be more positive!

So those are the things I've done this week. I've not been in a particularly good mood, but Hubby, being the perfect man he is, reminds me of reasons to be happy when I'm spiralling into the depths of despair! For example:

I miscalculated our financials this month which is going to see us go into the red for a couple of days before we get paid again. It took me two days to tell him because I got so worked up about it and when I did he just told me not to worry, everything always finds a way of working itself out. The next day we find out the new bank account we've signed up for is not only going to be fee-free for a year, but the overdraft will be fee and interest free. A massive relief for me and a reminder that, as is usually the case, he's much better at optimism than I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your voice to the Bright Side Diaries: